LAOAG CITY – Famous “kutcheros,” or horse-drawn carriage drivers, in Vigan City have been allowed to resume operations after nearly two years of shutdown by the COVID-19 pandemic, provincial officials said on Sunday. Ilocos Sur.
Kutcheros welcomed the news, as travel restrictions that were imposed to curb the spread of the virus at the height of the health crisis last year displaced at least 176 of them who were forced to find more sources of income.
Some of the kutcheros had to work for construction companies or in the utility industry to make ends meet, according to the Ilocos Sur tourism board.
On November 20, the city government of Vigan finally acceded to the Kutcheros’ request to return to the streets, especially the cobbled Crisologo Street, one of the popular landmarks in the province, with the Ilocos region now being below Alert Level 2 (low risk) and its number of COVID-19 cases continued to decline.
Money for training
âWe are very happy that our kutcheros are returning to the streets, albeit slowly. They were the last of the tourism workers to return to work, âIlocos Sur tourism manager Michael Ryan Astom said in a television interview on Sunday.
Before the pandemic, kutcheros earned between 3,500 and 5,000 pesos per day for an hourly rate of 50 to 250 pesos per capita. In the absence of tourists, the provincial tourist office organized cash training. program for kutcheros who have learned additional skills, such as basic guiding, while waiting for tourism to resume.
âThey were paid to attend the day but it only lasted 25 days,â Astom said, adding that some kutcheros were offered employment opportunities by the city government.
Ilocos Sur gradually reopened to visitors on November 5 after more than a month of closing its doors to tourists amid an increase in COVID-19 cases following severe tropical storm âMaringâ (international name: Kompasu) in October. But even with the gradual reopening over the previous months, the kutcheros said they were still struggling to recover as they could only win “by appointment”.
Fernando Amano Jr., president of the kutcheros association in Vigan, said their group members were delighted with the local government’s decision to allow them to fully resume their activities and hoped that the number of visitors would return to pre-pandemic levels. .
In 2019, at least 1.4 million tourists visited Vigan, which suffered some 1 billion pesos in losses caused by the pandemic, according to data from the tourist office.
Vigan was declared one of the “Seven New Wonder Cities of the World” in 2015 by the United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization, and local tourism has been a key driver of the economy. the province, supporting at least 8,000 workers, according to local officials. INQ
Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to access The Philippine Daily Inquirer and over 70 other titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download from 4 a.m. and share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.