The Grade II listed White Hart Hotel was originally sold in July 2016 with the promise that the building would return to its former glory.
After a major renovation, it reopened in October 2018 with an industrial steampunk theme and a new cocktail bar.
The following year, residents, who had welcomed the reopening of the hotel, feared the worst when the new tenants declared that they were embarking on a “new adventure”.
Commercial operator Rob Stark, who has taken over management of the hotel with his family, reassured the city that the hotel was open for business – with a plan for long-term improvement subject to securing the support whose they need.
The hotel had been closed for two years and had become a derelict eyesore before being bought out by Mr. Stark’s company.
“To preserve it, we had to do some structural work and stripped it down completely to create a traditional hotel and inn,” Mr Stark said at the time.
The old coaching inn, located opposite the statue of Sir John Franklin in the Market Square, dates back to the 17th century, when horse-drawn carriages often ferried patrons from the inn to the station.
There is a plaque on the first floor commemorating the founding of the Cyclists’ Touring Club in 1878 as well as another showing that it was once the town post office.
It now has a hotel and a restaurant with 15 rooms.
Described as a multifaceted business, it has a wine bar/café, delicatessen and bistro and was used as a wedding venue.
Located in the city center, it has ample parking and a commercial garden/patio.
There are seven sheds and several outbuildings.
It was put on the market by Sidney Phillips last summer and now has a sign outside.
To arrange a visit, go here.