The Old Rectory, Coolgreaney Rd, Lamberton, Arklow, Co Wicklow € 1m
Lamberton’s ‘old presbytery’ in Arklow is said to have been built for the rector of the town’s Church of Saint-Sauveur, although if the first maps are to be believed it predates the church. The house is shown on the 1837 map (under the name Sheephouse), while St Sauveur did not appear until 1899.
The story goes that the Rector of Arklow used to preach in the open air and, according to local historian Pat Power, often did so deliberately outside of Mass, resulting in ill will.
Then, finally, the Comte de Carysfort intervened and built Saint-Sauveur, bringing it out of the streets.
Like the church, the house is built of Wicklow granite and has great features on the inside such as ornate plaster and fireplaces, although PVC has been felt in the windows and even the front door.
It is 4,720 square feet on two main floors on an elevated basement, plus there is an attic which has two bedrooms.
Four further bedrooms are located below that on the first floor, the main one with an en-suite shower room.
The ground floor has a galley style kitchen at the front and an office opposite. To the rear there is a formal living room with a bow window which overlooks the garden, and a dining room opening onto a veranda extension, also with doors to the garden.
In the basement there is a utility room in the old kitchen, a family room, a games room and an office as well as a wine cellar and stores.
It is an acre comprising of a mezzanine shed measuring 783 square feet which has been converted into guest rooms, with a living room, kitchen and two bedrooms.
It is for sale for € 1m with Sherry FitzGerald Catherine O’Reilly at Arklow (0402) 32367.